Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Looks Can Be Deceiving


The above picture may lead you to believe that the joy of solid food is back. Oh how far from the truth that assumption would be. This picture was taken after one of our alternative method feeding sessions. James was given a bowl (one that Jordan and I use--a grownup bowl) with some pureed sweet potatoes in it. He was, of course, first stripped down to his diaper. Then we let him go to it while he sat on my lap. As you can see, he painted a pretty picture on his face, but that's about as close to his stomach as the sweet potatoes got.

This is a rather difficult time. All I can say to anyone approaching the introduction of solid foods is to take it slowly. It doesn't matter how much they eat. Getting a half a baby spoonful each day for months and enjoying eating is much better than what can result when you try to urge them to eat just a little more (i.e. refusing to try anything and vomiting whenever food makes it into the mouth). Follow your child's cues. When he/she turns his/her head, let that be the end of the feeding. If anything, give the baby less than they may want to keep the desire alive.

This of course is just my experience (however an excerpt I read in a pediatric book today confirmed my sad mistakes). I simply feel the need to warn that I may possibly prevent anyone else from making the mistakes I did. I also feel that there is no need to rush thickening the cereal...I think that was what pushed James over the edge. Humans have their whole life to eat...no need to rush things. Make it a happy, fun, pleasant experience. Don't worry that they need to eat more. Trying to persuade to eat more seems only to lead to eating less. If only I'd known how important and fragile those first two weeks were.

The good news is that James is happy and healthy in spite of his distrust of anything but mother's milk. I am just thankful he doesn't have any teeth yet, because I have a feeling I might be nursing him a little longer than I'd planned. Hopefully there will be a great turn around when he can pick up the food on his own and get it to his mouth. His doctor provided me with that hope. So, hope I will that it turns into a reality.

Happy eating!

7 comments:

Megan G said...

Tasha! Megan Gardner here. I found your blog through Alicia L.'s. Our little boys are so close in age! Mine will be 9 mos. next week. I am sooo glad I'm not the only one struggling with this whole solid food thing... I was getting so discouraged because I was afraid my little boy was so behind because we never can get him to like anything we give him... yep, he's just a nursing boy. Ahh! Well sorry for the novel... I think I will be having more conversations with you about this in the future! I have a blog too, by the way, but it is private, so email me (gardner dot megan at gmail dot com) and I will send you an invite if you like! I was so glad that I found your blog!

Jessica said...

Fun for you! Look at all of the things we have to look forward too! ;)

Shooting Star said...

Tash- Is this normal for all babies? We don't have any yet, but I am trying to learn everything I can before hand. Thanks for the advice. Your baby is adorable btw!

Julie said...

Oh man Tash sounds like a big challenge! I can't feed Hannah enough solids.... she inhales them quicker then I can get them in her mouth. Isn't it interesting that babies are so different from each other and have such distinct personalities? Well James sure is DARLING, I love that cute grin. Crazy that he's crawling around already! Wasn't he just born????? Seriously! Hope all is well for you guys. xoxo

The Smith's - said...

Even though he doesn't want to eat he sure looks happy and adorable in that picture. We can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks

Scott said...

Heck there are some solid foods I still won't eat. Don't worry Baby James don't worry.

Michele said...

Wow reading about the solid food dilemma makes me think back I cant even remember my boys going through this it seems like they started eating solids and havent stopped since, makes me wish they were little again. I cant believe how big James is getting, wish you still lived close so I could see him, oh and you and Jordan of course!