
Here is our happy traveler on the road to...

No...not Happy...but we did have to stop to get a picture.
What a great name for a city.

Here is the city of Happy. A nice quaint, unpretentious town.
Life lesson: Happiness is in simplicity and gratitude for what you do have.

Actual Cullimore Family Expedition location: Palo Duro Canyon.

As you can see it has a sort of southern Utah feel to it.
Jordan read that it is the second largest canyon in the U.S. or at least in the running for second. It took 15-20 minutes to drive the loop through the canyon. It's pretty small. But, it was a canyon with ups and downs, vegetation, and creeks. Variety we don't see much of around Lubbock.

We found a nice little area in the canyon to have a picnic and hike around. James was in awe at the openness. He LOVES running around outside.

Jordan's reaction to our visit.
Can you feel the excitement?

James found some nice flora to appreciate.

He really enjoyed swinging on the picnic table bench.

It was a happy place.

James was momentarily rooted to this spot.
Daddy showed him the water that came out of the spout in the wooden pole. It was so neat, he didn't want to go anywhere else.

Once we convinced him that there was more to see than water spouts, he quite enjoyed collecting rocks along our hike. Daddy made him a nice walking stick. He enjoyed poking the ground with it. In fact, he enjoyed poking so vigorously that Daddy had to make him a new walking stick, which he also enjoyed.

And what do you do with all the rocks you collect when out in a nice wide open space?

Throw them, of course!
This is a look of sheer satisfaction after a nice throw.

Now our little trip wasn't all fun and games...

There was a moment or two of terror.

Whatever could be the cause of such concern and dismay?

Let us show you...

Cacti!

Here I am trying to convince James that a cactus cannot harm you just by being close to you. Earlier, Jordan had shown James how you can touch a cactus if you are careful. Then he proceeded to suggest that James try. Well, toddler hands are not quite so agile. He got pricked. From that moment on, if a cactus came into view, he would freeze on the spot and cry for "Mommy." He would only stop crying once he was safely in my arms. We spent some time helping him to see the beauty of the cactus. He was partially convinced by the time we left.

Our attempt at a family picture...
It was a fun trip.
Thanks Daddy!
3 comments:
Looks like so much fun! I wish there weren't snow so Grace could spend some time running in opener spaces than our parking lot :) James is so big - I hardly recognize him! Have fun these next few weeks!
I love the picture of James on the bench, sounds like a fun trip.
you guys are so dang cute together as a family! I am so happy for you guys! and I am so hppy for baby sister to come too! I am sorry I haven;t mailed your baby gift yet...but don't fret my pet...it is coming! I have just been a little "preoccupied" with Bode, Rambo and the fact that I can't drive for another week! Miss you and your family....can't even believe how big James is!
Post a Comment